Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiday Reminder

I probably should have done this last week, but if you want to get something for your agent for Christmas/New Year/Misc, which is not expected or required but a nice thing to do, do not send them perishables, like a fruit basket or something. they may not be around to receive it and it will spoil or they may not be able to to eat the food and have to give it away in the office.

I give my agent a gift card to Barnes and Noble. A present is not expected, but if you do decide to do that for your severely unpaid agent, a gift card to a store he/she'll almost definitely be at is a good idea.

3 comments:

Marian Perera said...

Janet Reid has a post on her blog about an author who sent her a box of chocolates that included an adorable candy mouse. Though this wasn't during the holidays.

I wonder, though, whether one should check with an agent beforehand about sending edibles - is sugar OK? are nuts OK? That kind of thing.

The B&N gift card is a safe option, though - thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Funny, but I'd think the last thing an agent/editor would want would be books.

Or, maybe I hate my own ms so much right at the moment that my perception is wavering.

It's nice that you got your agent anything. I didn't. Too many family/friends to buy for and not enough money. Perhaps when/if I'm able to sell a book, I'll send something then.

Happy Holidays, Rejecter! Thank you for your blog. I make it a daily stop and like your insights and the measured manner in which they are delivered. Wishing you a prosperous New Year.

Stacia said...

I sent my agent and my editors Godiva cookies, but I sent them early in the month when I knew they would still be at work. Honestly? I thought even if they don't like them--I already knew my agent did--stuff like that is excellent to regift; nobody would believe you're regifting those. (No, seriously. I don't mind if people regift stuff I get them. It saves them the $ they would have spent otherwise so it's still a gift from me.)

Anyway. Happy holidays Rejecter!