Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Autobiographical

Just have to ask: do you write, send in submissions, and get rejected, too?
Just curious about what you want to be/do besides be "the rejecter."
In 5 years, what would you like to be? A published fiction writer? A screenwriter? In PR? A venture capitalist? Living in Alaska?

I did the whole submission/rejection business for years, finally got an offer on the third novel I tried to submit last summer. It's coming out in September. I've got two more in the pipeline that we're (me and my agent, not related to my boss) hoping to sell for actual money, instead of the tiny advance for the first one.

In five years I'd like to have all 10 of my historical fiction novels (9 written) bought, along with possibly some of my other work, and be living off my writing. That's my dream.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You work in the publishing industry, and you're also submitting your writing to the publishing industry, so my question is this: If you're working for, say, publishing company A and you want to be published yourself are you obligated to submit to A, or can you submit to B, C, D etc without feeling like you're 'cheating' on the company that you work for?

I'm not sure I got my question across clearly. Let me put it another way. You say you've got a different agent to the agent you actually work for. Is that considered tacky or like you're cheating on your boss or something? Did you submit your stuff to your boss for representation or is that like mixing business with pleasure?

I'm only asking coz I want to be a published author, but I'm also looking to get a job in the publishing industry.

Anonymous said...

And my hope is that your dream comes true.

Anonymous said...

Since we're sharing dreams, I'd like the novels I have under consideration at big houses sold and would also like to branch out, becoming a working screenwriter in LA.

(Wish you luck, Rejecter!)

1979 semi-finalist said...

and it's a really good dream.

it's also possible that with the exception of the word 'historical' you stole this dream from me.

thief!!!

Austin Williams said...

It's good to know that the Rejecter can sympathise with our plight. :-)