So apparently I'm on the Writer's Digest list of Best Websites for 2008. Thanks, Writer's Digest!
I love to read and I love talking to writers (although I'm not a very talented writer myself) but I work in a profession that isn't very creative. Sometimes I imagine quitting my job and trying to work for an agent. Please disabuse me of my daydreams:
1. would I have to go back to college for an English degree? (my undergraduate degree is in communications)
2. is the pay as abysmal as you suggest?
3. do you feel excited looking for new and creative voices or is it drudge work slogging through queries?
1. Considering I have a bachelor's and a master's and neither of them are English degrees, I would say no.
2. Sometimes you don't even get paid and they expect you to work for free. And there are people who will do it, too.
3. As I genuinely enjoy reading bad queries, I find my work very enjoyable no matter what is in the envelope.