Sunday, October 22, 2006

Getting My Job

Dear Ms. Rejector,

About a year ago now, I was fortunate enough to be able to get a volunteer position working as an Assistant editor at a small online magazine. After a year of wading through the slushpile, I've discovered that I really love this sort of work. Probably I'm quite batty, but if one is going to handle the written word in any form, that may be an advantage. My question--which may be nitwittery worthy of Miss Snark, but, anyway--is this: how would you go about getting a job which actually paid you to do this? Volunteer is very nice and all, but I'd love to be able to read slushpiles AND pay the bills.

Ask current/previous employers if they would give you a reference. Try to get one in writing. Then look on craig's list. Average pay is $10/hour, no benefits. Or you could go for an editorial assistant in a publishing company, which would have a salary and benefits. It sounds like you have the experience to land a job like that.

No comments: